What you need:
4 Tbs. mayonnaise (optional, can use less)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 cups sauteed spinach (volume before sauteing)
1 clove of garlic chopped
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (organic range-free= best option)
4 slices of bacon (nitrate and nitrite free, good source)
1 container of pre-sliced mushrooms (organic if available)
1 bunch of asparagus (organic if available)
What you need to do:
1. Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees F
2. In a bowl mix the Mayo, sauteed spinach, feta cheese, and garlic until well blended and set aside
3. Butterfly the chicken breast, trying not to cut all the way through. Then fill them with the spinach/feta mix. Wrap each piece with 2 slices of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place them into a shallow baking dish.
4. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear. You want the internal temp of the chicken to be 165 degrees F.
5. While the chicken is in the oven...
a. Pour a glass of red wine
b. Steam the asparagus and top with a garlic/butter sauce (as much high quality butter you want, your call on the
garlic- Don't know what other plans you may have!!!)
c. Sauté mushrooms in butter or bacon fat (as we did) and we also added some chopped up bacon pieces here
d. Don't neglect the glass of wine you poured!!
When it is all done, ENJOY!! And then tell us about it, we would love to hear what you guys think.
Original recipe "Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts" adapted from www.allrecipes.com